The A.P. Ulbrich Research Award in Dermatology is an educational grant sponsored by
the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology (AOCD) and funded through the
AOCD Educational Research Fund. The grant is intended to enable the recipient
to conduct a basic science or clinical research project that will make a
significant contribution to osteopathic medicine and dermatology. The grant is
offered to encourage osteopathic resident physicians to engage in dermatologic
will be entertained from osteopathic physicians in postdoctoral training
programs and research fellowships in dermatology. Each grant supports one
individual. Not more than two consecutive or non-consecutive grants may be
awarded to an individual.
grant is not exclusive and the investigator may seek additional funding from
other sources such as the AOA Bureau of Research, governmental agencies, other
outside agencies, college or hospital, etc.
grant provides financial support for the completion of a clinical or basic
science research project. Various types of research are eligible for
The resident may contribute to or take responsibility for a portion of a research project that is ongoing.
- The resident may seek support for conducting novel research after developing a feasible research proposal.
- The resident may seek support to develop a research idea. In this case, the resident should first conduct a complete literature search to determine the feasibility and need for the project. A research proposal must be developed by the end of the grant timeline.
resident research must be conducted under the guidance of a research advisor
Applications must be typewritten or printed and contain all of the following:
- AOCD Form A-1 grant application (attached).
- Curriculum vitae:
- Limited to four pages. Include the following, listed in chronological order: employment, positions and honors, selected peer-reviewed publications (do not include publications submitted or in preparation), research experience.
- Research proposal containing the following:
- List of all personnel involved in the study.
- Attach curricula vitae for professional personnel and job descriptions for technicians. Estimate the percentage of each individual's efforts devoted to the project.
- Attach contact information for the principal investigator, including email address.
- Copy of project approval from your Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- Include documentation of current completion of ethics training (e.g. UW Human Subjects Training Certification and Human Participants Protection Education for Research Teams Certification).
- If there are any special ethical problems in the proposal, an explanation should be included of the means being used to protect the welfare of the subjects. Other considerations include the use of hazardous procedures or materials. When such procedures or materials will be used, a discussion of how any problems will be handled should also be included. (see also paragraph 4 below)
- Funding Data Sheet
- A list of all research or educational grants applied for or received in regard to this project. Include name of grant, date of application or receipt and the amount of the grant.
- Project Summary
- The summary should provide a concise overview of the project (limited to one page). Information on details or explanations will be obtained from the research proposal (see paragraph 3 above). The summary will be used for releases to the AOCD newsletter to explain your project.
- A letter of commitment to supervise the project from the applicant's sponsor.
- A 4" X 5" black and white glossy (or photo quality image) portrait (head and shoulders) of the applicant.
information is available in the AOA Research Handbook.
that each applicant has the option of recommending three potential reviewers
for their application. To exercise this option, include the name, address and
phone number of suggested reviewers on a separate page entitled Recommended
Reviewers. Potential reviewers shall not: be employed at the applicant's
current institution; have trained with the applicant; or currently be
conducting research with the applicant.
applications will not be accepted. Applications received after the deadline
date will be returned unread.
Download Application Form
must be received by March 30 to be eligible for consideration of award during
the following academic year (July 1 - June 30).
will be reviewed by the Research Committee. The Research Committee will forward
its recommendations to the AOCD. The AOCD notifies the applicants of the
Committee's action by certified letter. The grant will begin July 1 of that
year and end June 30 of the subsequent year.
correspondence concerning the program and/or awarded grants should be directed
to the AOCD Committee on Research.
of the award will occur as follows:
$500.00 when the official notification of the award is made.
- $250.00 upon receipt, and approval, of a mid-year progress report.
- $250.00 upon receipt, and approval, of a final progress report, and paper suitable for
Winners of the award will
be honored at the subsequent Annual AOCD meeting.
recipients are required to submit the following reports: The mid-year report is
due 31 January, six months after the start of the grant year. The report must
be signed by both the resident and the sponsor.
final report is due 1 September, 60 days after the completion of the grant
year. It must include a manuscript suitable for publication.
recipient must submit an abstract for oral presentation of their project
results at the AOCD Annual Convention.
final reports will be submitted for consideration for publication to an
appropriate dermatology or professional journal. Grant recipients shall acknowledge
support of the research by the AOCD Ulbrich Award in any and all publications
or oral presentations of the research.
reports should be sent to:
Committee on Research
1997-1998: Mark A. Kuriata, D.O.
2003-2004: Alpesh Desai, D.O.
2005-2006: Tejas Desai, D.O.
2008-2009: Karthik Krishnamurthy, D.O.
2009-2010: Angela Leo, D.O.
2010-2011: Francisca Kartono, D.O.
2013-2014: Holly Kanavy, D.O.
2013-2014: Cory Maughan, D.O.
2014-2015: Marisa Wolff, D.O.