Dr. Larissa Chismar is a board-certified dermatologist and dermatopathologist.
Dr. Chismar earned her medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, NY. She completed her residency training in dermatology and fellowship training in dermatology at Montefiore Medical Center in Bronx, NY.
Dr. Chismar is a member of American Society of Dermatopathology, American Academy of Dermatology, International Society of Dermatopathology, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Atlanta Association of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery and American Medical Association.
Challenges in Dermatopathology
This lecture will discuss the importance of detailed communication between the dermatologist and dermatopathologist. We will then discuss challenging cases that require correlation with the clinical and histologic findings, focusing on examples of difficult melanocytic lesions, soft tissue tumors and inflammatory conditions.
- Review what information is important to include on dermatopathology requisition forms and why dermatopathologists may encounter diagnostic difficulty without this information
- Review challenges encountered by dermatopathologists in the interpretation of melanocytic neoplasms, soft tissue neoplasms and inflammatory conditions
- Review diagnostic pitfalls that may arise with partial biopsies
- New methods of diagnosis or treatment
- Advances in medical knowledge
- Chismar LA, et al. The Dermatopathology Requisition Form: Attitudes and Practices of Dermatologists. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015 Feb;72(2):353-5.
- Waller JM, Zedek DC. How Informative are Dermatopathology Requisition Forms Completed by Dermatologists? A Review of the Clinical Information Provided for 100 Consecutive Melanocytic Lesions. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010 Feb;62(2):257-61.
- Comfere NI, et al. Dermatopathologists’ Concerns and Challenges with Clinical Information in the Skin Biopsy Requisition Form: A Mixed-Methods Study. J Cutan Pathol. 2015 May;42(5):333-45.
Core Competencies: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Disclosures: No disclosures provided by speaker