Dr. Neal Bhatia is a leading dermatologist in Southern California, providing patients in and around San Diego with the skilled, individualized care they need for skin and nail diseases and cosmetic concerns. With extensive skill and experience in treating a wide range of dermatologic issues, Dr. Bhatia is skilled at diagnosing common and uncommon skin diseases and conditions and in determining the ideal treatment for the best response and results for all skin types. At his practice in San Diego, he provides an array of services including state-of-the-art treatments for acne, psoriasis, rosacea, skin cancer and more.
After earning dual bachelor of science degrees in bacteriology and genetics from the University of Wisconsin, Dr. Bhatia completed his medical degree at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine before completing residencies in internal medicine and dermatology at Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee.
In addition to working in private practice, Dr. Bhatia has held several academic positions, including serving as assistant clinical professor at the University of Wisconsin and the University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA). Currently, he serves as associate clinical professor and interim program director in the department of dermatology at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, and he has been widely published in professional journals.
Dr. Bhatia also is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) where he serves on the AAD Board of Directors, and he maintains memberships in several other professional organizations, including the American Society for Dermatological Surgery, the Dermatology Foundation, the American Dermatological Association, the Medical Dermatology Society, the Skin of Color Society and the California Society of Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery.
In addition to providing the best possible care using the safest, most effective advanced methods, Dr. Bhatia is committed to offering each patient individualized attention and customized treatment plans so they can feel confident in the care they receive every step of the way.
Do you know JAK? New Applications for Janus Kinas Inhibitors in Dermatology
- Identify the mechanisms of action of Janus Kinas Inhibitors and the potential applications for dermatology
- Recognize the balance between efficacy and safety of JAK Inhibitors including routine lab monitoring and assessments
- Discuss new developments in clinical research
- New advances in dermatologic treatment
- Availability of new medication(s) or indication(s)
- Development of new technology
- Damsky W, King BA. “JAK Inhibitors in Dermatology: The promise of a new drug class”. JAAD. 2017 Jan 28;76(4):736-744.
- Cotter D, Schairer D, Eichenfield L. “Emerging therapies for atopic dermatitis: JAK Inhibitors.” J Am Acad Dermatol. 78(3):S52-S62., 2009: 35:1-7.
Core Competencies: 2, 3
Patients vs. Doctors: One-Star Reviews, Yelp and Social Media
- Identify the potential sources of burnout that exist with the system that allows patients to review medical practices like consumers
- Recognize behavioral patterns and other warning signs of patient dissatisfaction that could lead to compromise of a practice’s reputation
- Maximize strategies to optimize the relationship with patients that lead to satisfaction in addition to improved outcomes
Advances in medical knowledge
Legislative, regulatory, or organizational changes effecting patient care
- Beverley Anne Sparks, “The stress of anonymous online reviews: A conceptual model and research agenda”. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. July 2015: 27(5):739-755.
- Shemirani, NL and Castrillion, J. “Negative and Positive Online Patient Reviews of Physicians – 1 vs 5 Stars.” JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2017 Sep; 19(5): 435-436. Published online 2017 Jan 26. Doi: 0.1001/jamafacial.2016.2039.
- Ryan Erskine. “you Just Got Attacked by Face 1-Star Reviews. Now What?” Forbes Online. May 15, 2018, 09:06am.
Core Competencies: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Disclosures: Advisor, Consultant, Investigator, Speaker: Abbvie, Activis, Allergan, Aqua, Bayer, Biofrontera, BiopharmX, Castle, Cipher, Dermira, Encore, Exeltis, Ferndale, Foamix, Galderma, Intraderm, ISDIN, LaRoche-Posay, Leo, Novan, Novartis, PharmaDerm, Pfizer, Promius, Regeneron, Sanofi, SunPharma, Valeant