George J. Schmieder, DO, FAOCD, FAAD, is a board-certified dermatologist and Mohs Skin Cancer Surgeon. Dr. Schmieder completed his dermatology residency at the esteemed University of Miami. He is a subject level expert in cosmetic and laser dermatology, as well. His dedication to his community and country is evidenced by his 20+ year commitment to the U.S. Navy. Dr. Schmieder has earned a stellar reputation for performing Mohs surgery in Jacksonville. He is devoted to teaching and recently began the Park Avenue Dermatology Residency program. Academic research has also been one of his personal endeavors demonstrated by the many past and present clinical research studies to explore the latest techniques and use of new pharmaceuticals for the treatment of a variety of skin conditions and skin-related disorders, such as acne, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, pre-cancerous skin lesions and more.
Local Flaps and Mohs Reconstruction and When to Use Them
This lecture will involve the planning and execution of a flap repair following Mohs surgery, which varies from case to case. This lecture will show the audience different approaches on how to close Mohs defects when simple closure is not indicated.
- Help attendees understand that the methods of reconstruction are dependent on the depth/thickness of the defect and the overall shape and size of the wound
- Help attendees understand which method is chosen must be an inherent upon vascular supply
- Help attendees understand that reconstruction must consider maximal horizontal stabilization with minimal vertical tension
- New advances in dermatologic treatment
- New methods of diagnosis and treatment
- Advances in medical knowledge
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery by Keyvan Nouri, MD. Copyright 2012.
- Flaps and Grafts in Dermatological Surgery by Thomas E. Rohrer, Jonathan L Cook, Tri H. Nguyen and Ramsey Mellette. Copyright 2007.
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery, Second Edition, edited by Stephen N. Snow, MD and George R. Mikhail, MD. Copyright 2004.
- Local Flaps in Facial Reconstruction by Shan R. Baker, MD and Neil A. Swanson, MD. Copyright 1995.
Core Competencies: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Disclosures: Owner of Park Avenue Dermatology, PA