Dr. Karysse J. Trandem is a highly sought-after board-certified Obstetrician and Gynecologic Surgeon specializing in recognizing and treating victims of human sex trafficking. Dr. Trandem speaks around the world about her international experience treating trafficked patients and specific ways to recognize and treat victims. Dr. Trandem was selected for and completed distinguished research fellowships at both the National Institutes of Health in Washington, D.C., and the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland. As the recipient of numerous prestigious local, national, and international awards for patient care, Dr. Trandem brings excellence and expertise to her audiences. Dr. Trandem is the Physician Expert and Speaker for the National Human Trafficking Intelligence Center, and lectures at numerous hospital institutional Grand Rounds presentations. Dr. Trandem has treated trafficked victims cross-culturally and internationally in community, clinic, and hospital settings, and is the volunteer Medical Director at International Wings of Shelter, a non-profit organization specializing in treatment and life rehabilitation of juvenile victims of sex trafficking.
This course addresses the mandatory content for Physicians in Florida.
The purpose of this educational activity is to provide physicians and other allied professionals how to become part of what is referred to as a “multidisciplinary response” to human trafficking. Providers should be able to identify both the presence of human trafficking within their practice setting and know about resources within their communities to be able to assist trafficking persons.
Upon completion of this activity, learners will be able to:
- Explain what sex and labor trafficking is
- Identify potential victims of human trafficking
- Clarify the behavioral dynamics related to human trafficking
- Encourage routine screening procedures for the possibility of patient history of domestic violence or trafficking
- Identify the best options for referral to community resources
- Encourage the establishment of documentation policies in trafficking cases
- Increase advocacy within the healthcare community for victims of trafficking