Dr. Uebelhoer began practicing dermatologic and laser surgery 20 years ago. As an expert in his field, he has since lectured across the United States and throughout the world, authored numerous peer-reviewed articles and book chapters on the subject, and won awards for his teaching and military service. He grew up in Massachusetts and after completing medical school at the University of New England, he went to the Naval Medical Center in San Diego for internship and dermatology residency. Following Board Certification by the American Board of Dermatology, he obtained sub-specialty training in skin-cancer surgery and facial cutaneous reconstruction through a one-year fellowship in Cosmetic and Laser Surgery at SkinCare Physicians of Chestnut Hill in Boston, Massachusetts. Since then, he has served as the division head of Mohs and Laser Surgery with the Navy in San Diego until retiring as a Commander in 2013.
Dr. Uebelhoer was also trained as a Naval Flight surgeon and private pilot and proudly served in this capacity deployed with the U.S. Marine Corps. In addition to Procedural Dermatology, he has been heavily involved in rural and tropical medicine, and he continues to lecture throughout the world on his pioneering work with scar rehabilitation in wounded warriors. When not in the operating room, Nathan is with his family and occasionally takes the time to play golf and the piano.
Burn and Traumatic Scar Rehabilitation: The New Standard
- To understand the various types of scars
- To recognize the advances in cutaneous surgery for scar rehabilitation and how they relate to osteopathic principles and practice
- To appreciate the responsibility as dermatologic specialists in offering this service to the millions for patients debilitated by traumatic scarring
- New advances in dermatologic treatment
- New methods of diagnosis or treatment
- Development of new technology
- Advances in medical knowledge
- Legislative, regulatory, or organizational changes effecting patient care
Core Competencies: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6